Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A sigh of relief at 17 weeks

I just talked to my doctor's office, who told me that my AFP tetra results came out negative--which is good. That means that the four markers they checked for birth defects via blood test did not alert them to any possible problems. This does not rule out birth defects completely, but it does mean that things most likely are just fine. I really hadn't stressed too much about this test, but I do feel a great sense of relief after hearing the results. One more burden lifted from my shoulders.

Up another two pounds this week. (Gotta lay off the brownie sundaes, but man are they tasty.) I'm wearing maternity pants (the non-panel kind, so I'm sure no one can tell; I think I may wear these post-pregnancy, too!) to work for the first time today. I don't really need to quite yet, but they make me more comfortable, so I'm going with it.

I've been getting headaches nearly every day, though so far they're not too bad; usually a Tylenol can knock them out within ten or 15 minutes. I've been fortunate in my life to not have too many headaches, so hopefully that doesn't change too drastically now. It is one of the primary side effects of Zofran, though, so perhaps that's the case here. I've been taking a half Zofran every morning, but I might try to go without it soon and only take it if I feel like I need to. I didn't do that before because I didn't want to risk getting sick at work, but I've been feeling well enough that I may be okay without it. I know I should be okay since I'm out of the first trimester, but I also know that nausea and vomiting aren't limited to just that period of time for everyone.

Oh yeah, and I've felt no additional flutters beyond what I experienced on Friday morning/early afernoon. I know it could be a while before I feel them regularly, though.

Weight loss/gain:
3w5d starting weight
5w (-1.2 pounds)
6w (-3 pounds, -4.2 pounds total)
7w (-2.4 pounds, -6.6 pounds total)
8w (-1 pound, -7.6 pounds total)
9w (-2 pounds, -9.6 pounds total)
10w (-2.6 pounds, -12.2 pounds total)
11w (+1 pound, -11.2 pounds total)
12w (+3.6 pounds, -7.6 pounds total)
13w (+1.0 pound, -6.6 pounds total)
14w (+1.2 pounds, -5.4 pounds total)
15w (+3.4 pounds, -2 pounds total)
16w (+2.0 pounds, no change total)
17w (+2.0 pounds, +2 pounds overall)

3 Comments:

At August 29, 2006 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I breathed a collective sigh for everybody, that is great the test came back negative. I wouldn't even worry about birth defects, those tests are for the major ones and it should be smooth sailing from here on out. It will be great when you get to see "him/her" on the unltrasound, that's when I really "felt" pregnant. The baby is moving, you just can't feel it, it's too small, it might have been the way you were sitting or you might have been full from dinner, any number of things. Believe me, there will come a day when all the baby does IS move.
I had migraines throughout my whole pregnancy with Ashlyn. Debilitating, mind numbing migraines. I had to be prescribed percoset for them. I hated taking them, the doctor said it wouldn't harm the baby but I still felt bad about it.
Hope you keep feeling well and keep us posted.
~Beth

 
At August 29, 2006 12:08 PM, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

I'm so glad the AFP results are what we were hoping for.

I hope you get a handle on the headaches - that does not sound fun.

 
At August 29, 2006 1:56 PM, Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

Ugh - I had bad headaches the first trimester of both of my successful pregnancies. That's no fun!

So glad the tests were negative! What a relief.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home