Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Drained at 16 weeks

As of this morning, I've made it back to my starting weight. The doctor didn't mention my weight gain yesterday, so I'll continue to presume it's fine.

I thought I'd been feeling pretty good lately (though pretty drained from the visit from the in-laws this weekend and from the stress of worrying about finances), but right before eating breakfast this morning, I got the sudden (and I mean sudden!) urge to puke and couldn't keep it back. I don't remember the last time I'd done that, but I'd say it's been a couple weeks. I want to make this clear: It is not welcome to return, so stay away, pukey feeling!

Yesterday after my doctor's appointment, I went to Once Upon a Child, a chain consignment shop that sells mostly kids' clothes but also baby stuff (cribs, bathtubs, swings, etc.) and maternity clothes, all gently used (and in great shape usually--a clear step above the often hit-or-miss Goodwill). My goal was to pick up some maternity clothes so I have stuff ready to go when I need it, probably within the next couple weeks. My goal was to spend about $100 to get me started (pants are usually around $10 and shirts range from $5 to $9). I wasn't in a shopping mood at first, but I made myself be patient and stick around to look through stuff. I tried on a ton of clothes and ended up buying a good amount of stuff.

For just under $160, I got two pair of khakis (both of which I LOVE; I can't wait to wear them! One pair is more "normal" and the other pair is a cute, casual carpenter pants kind of thing), two pair of jeans, and 17 shirts. Not too bad when you think that I got my money's worth on pants alone if I'd paid retail for them. I got a few short-sleeved shirts to last me into fall, but most of what I got was long-sleeved since the bulk of what I'll need is fall/winter clothes. I am so pleased with everything I got. It's all so adorable, yet still me--just maybe a more "put-together" kind of me. I think buying these clothes was one of those big things that made me realize this might really happen this time.

I plan to use this store quite often, for my maternity clothes at first (because who wants to spend $25 a pop for maternity shirts in regular stores when I'm getting the same name brands for less?), but also later for kids' clothes that also are expensive and don't get used for all that long. It's a great way to keep costs down.

Weight loss/gain:
3w5d starting weight
5w (-1.2 pounds)
6w (-3 pounds, -4.2 pounds total)
7w (-2.4 pounds, -6.6 pounds total)
8w (-1 pound, -7.6 pounds total)
9w (-2 pounds, -9.6 pounds total)
10w (-2.6 pounds, -12.2 pounds total)
11w (+1 pound, -11.2 pounds total)
12w (+3.6 pounds, -7.6 pounds total)
13w (+1.0 pound, -6.6 pounds total)
14w (+1.2 pounds, -5.4 pounds total)
15w (+3.4 pounds, -2 pounds total)
16w (+2.0 pounds, no change total)

3 Comments:

At August 22, 2006 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome, consignment shops are great, Goodwill seems to be so disgusting anymore. And those places don't take really worn out clothes, like you said "gently used". Those places are good weekly visits because they are always getting in new stuff. We had a Kid's Korner down the street from me and we used to frequent it quite a bit. Sounds like you had a lucrative shopping trip, good luck on future visits!
~Beth

 
At August 22, 2006 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have some shops like that here around me in Indiana as well as some local shops that have great baby clothes and toys. They are fantastic. You will come to love shopping at those places when the baby comes. They go through stuff so fast it is silly to pay retail prices for something they will only wear for a month. So happy you discovered this! Good luck on future shopping adventures!
Nanci

 
At August 22, 2006 12:56 PM, Blogger BellaLovesPink said...

Yahoo!! Bargain shopping is the best! Kudos to you for finding some great stuff! That'll be a great resource further down the road. I'm so jealous! Not too many of those here in SF.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home