Wednesday, August 16, 2006

To sleep, perchance to dream

In recent weeks, I've had several very vivid but disturbing pregnancy dreams. One a couple of weeks ago involved me having the baby at 14 weeks and 4 days. Everyone kept saying how cute it was (I don't know if it was a boy or girl in the dream), what nice eyes it had, etc.--but they were all ignoring me when I kept telling them that it was way too early to have the baby and it shouldn't be here yet. I was a little afraid the dream might have been an omen of some sort that something bad was going to happen at 14 weeks and 4 days, but the day passed without incident, so I was mildly relieved at that.

Last night's dream involved me having a C-section on my bed at home--but the doctors hadn't thought about giving me any kind of anesthesia until I'd mentioned it to them a few times. When I finally got through to them, they said, "Oh yeah, that's probably a good idea, just in case."

Or there was the dream where I was delivering the baby (sounds like I have issues with delivery, huh?) and it wouldn't come out, and the doctors gave up and said it'd be okay if we just left it there--for the rest of my life. They actually told me that at least I'd get my money's worth out of the maternity clothes I'd already bought.

I haven't had any dreams yet about whether it's a boy or a girl, though I'm sure those are in the queue--right after all the other anxiety dreams that I'm sure will play in my subconscious.

3 Comments:

At August 16, 2006 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so funny because even though I've never had the eternally pregnant dream I had the EXACT same dream as the first one you described. All those damn pregnancy hormones played out in my sleep and I dreamt EVERY night! Weird, crazy awful dreams! I had my baby VERY early too and noone would listen when I said she was too small and nobody did anything about it even though I knew she needed medical attention. It was awful not having anyone listen to me but the baby was perfectly healthy if that's any consolation. Hopefully tonight will be better sleep. I used to try and trick my brain, "tonight I will dream about eating ice cream at the beach" "tonight I will dream about riding a bike" Never worked, I still had crazy dreams, but the meditation aspect was very relaxing.
~Beth

 
At August 17, 2006 8:45 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

I've actually read that dreams about delivering too early and/or giving birth to an animal (believe it or not) is absolutely normal!

Chances are it's your subconscious trying to adjust to the reality of pregnancy.

Plus you have all these hormones going on too. :)

 
At August 17, 2006 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the dream about leaving the baby in and the maternity clothes is your subconcious revealing your feelings about not wanting to purchase maternity clothes?

I had several VERY bizarre dreams similar to those when I was pregnant also. My dad also had a dream about my giving birth to a "beautiful" baby girl, and that was before I even knew what I was having! Turns out, he was right!

I have also heard from many sources, including my obstetrician, that those types of dreams are very normal, so try not to worry, and Beth is right, try to relax as much as possible before you go to sleep...
~Nanci~

Nanci

 

Post a Comment

<< Home