Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Dairy confused and dairy limited

Okay, I hate to admit this, but I'm finding that I'm a complete moron when it comes to knowing if dairy is in certain foods. Grilled cheese sandwiches? I know those are out on account of both the butter and the cheese. But other things that don't say "cheese" in the name? Well, I'm often finding myself more stumped than I should be!

Although I don't need to cut out dairy completely, I do need to greatly limit my intake for at least a few more days. So, I'm also learning quickly that much of my diet is very dairy-heavy (which is normally good since I don't drink milk). Finding something for lunch has been pretty difficult, since I also need something that's easy to fix and quick to eat. That certainly limits the options. Aforementioned grilled cheese? Out. Oh, a burrito! No, that's cheese-based. Leftover pizza? Nope. I forgot I had that box of mac and cheese in the pantry. Oh, wait, that won't work. Pasta Roni angel hair pasta with herbs...no, you add milk to that (I could add water, but it's not nearly as tasty). I finally settled on having frozen chicken tenders (does that have any dairy, I wondered as I read the ingredients. See, I told you I'm retarded about this, though in my defense, I thought maybe it could've been in the breading) and french fries. I wish I'd thought of this when I did my grocery shopping on Friday night, as I used up the last of the chicken tenders and fries yesterday.

My low moment, however, was when I had convinced myself that eggs were dairy. (If I ever see a cow lay an egg, I'll be sure to take pictures.) I think I just got a low-dairy diet confused with vegan, for some reason. Any chance we can blame this on the lack of milk protein in my food lately?

1 Comments:

At April 11, 2007 6:40 PM, Blogger K said...

Ha! The butter thing took me a second, so I guess you're not the only one dairy confused.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home