Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Little Bo Peep, sans sheep

First of all, I'll say that I did not cry.

But, I will say that my heart aches just a little this morning.

Why the sadness? We took Baby B to daycare for the first time this morning. She's only going to do a half-day there today, but it was weird coming home and not seeing her cute face anywhere. I've been without her when I've gone out for a few hours at a time, but I just realized that I've never been at home without her here. The house feels eerily still, and I've got a whole list of things I'd like to be able to get done while she's away, but so far I haven't been able to start. (Though, in fairness, writing this blog post is on the list.)

The drop-off went pretty well. We stayed for about 25 minutes and chatted with the director and the one infant room teacher who had arrived. (I'll get to meet the other teacher when I pick her up around noon.) We told them the big things to know about Baby B--mostly that she has reflux and will spit up a lot, and a certain way to hold her to calm her down, among a few other things--but I could have stood there for hours telling them all about her--what she likes, what she doesn't like, how to get her to smile--all of that. There's so much to know about my daughter, and I want them to know all of it! But, I didn't want to overwhelm them on the first day, and I'm sure a lot of it they'll soon learn on their own anyway.

Funny thing is that there are eight infants in the infant room at this daycare, and there are THREE with the nickname that we call Baby B! So she'll be known by her name with a last initial tagged onto the end, at least until the older ones move to the next room. I figured that might happen once she started school, but I didn't expect it in daycare with such a small classroom.

You want to know what's really sad? Right now I'm watching The Dog walk around the house, peeking into her room, into her Pack N Play, etc., as though he's looking around for her. I want to do the same, though at least I do know where to find her.

Is it noon yet?

3 Comments:

At April 10, 2007 9:40 AM, Blogger LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

That post was very sweet. I really think you should save it to share with Baby B when she is older. Your love for her shines right through!

It's great that you are trying her out at daycare before you go back to work. It is probably the best way to break both of you into it.

 
At April 10, 2007 10:08 AM, Blogger BellaLovesPink said...

Oh, do I ever feel your pain. But it's good you've had the opportunity to transition her in slowly. We threw Avery right in and she didn't do so hot. She's doing MUCH better now, but it still breaks my heart to see her watching me leave.

I've never treasured my time with her more than when I pick her up to take her home.

 
At April 10, 2007 11:15 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

Awww hon... *hug*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home