Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Spitting up(date)

I ended up calling the pediatrician and getting in to see him this afternoon. The primary reason for the visit was because of the recent increase in spitting up, but I also wanted him to look at a rash on her face and scalp, which I either figured to be mild cradle cap or baby acne. He was confident that it's heat rash, which we can't really do much about. We already keep her lightly dressed around the house, so there's not much we can do beyond that. It's pretty common, but it's just something that will have to go away on its own.

As for the spitting up, the pediatrician asked me several questions about feeding schedules, my diet, etc. He thought that trying to eliminate onions from my diet was a good start and said to give it a week to see if that did anything. If not, it's probably not the problem. He said that reflux tends to come and go in waves, so we may just be at another peak right now. He said to keep giving her Zantac twice a day (as we have been), and change what formula we use for her 2 oz. bottle before bed (he gave us samples of Enfamil AR) to see if that makes a difference at all. He wants us to do this (I'll still nurse her as usual for now) because it may tell us whether she has some sort of milk allergy. I hope she's not allergic to my milk; that will be devastating to me if she is.

He also wants to send her for an upper GI x-ray, which we have scheduled for Monday morning. He has no reason to believe it's something other than reflux, but he wants to order the x-ray just in case there's something else going on here. The x-ray should also confirm the presence of the reflux.

In positive news, Baby B slept for 11 consecutive hours last night!! We are very fortunate, and I do not take this for granted at all. However, I'm already trying to prepare myself for the fact that she might not continue this when I return to work, since she'll probably want to nurse as much as possible with me when we're at home. But a girl can dream, right?

1 Comments:

At April 05, 2007 9:29 AM, Blogger LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

Lots for you to consider these days - the onion factor is so interesting to me. I had no idea. I am happy to hear that your Dr. is being proactive in making sure that nothing major is going on with little Baby B. Keep us posted!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home