Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The shot heard 'round the doctor's office

This morning I took Baby B for her two-month check-up at the pediatrician's office. The physical exam went well, and everyone commented on how beautiful she was. (I know they probably say that to everyone, but at least they sounded genuine about it. One nurse even said, "Now, I see babies all day long, and she's a gorgeous baby." I wanted to say, "Thanks, I made her myself!", a favorite phrase of mine, but I refrained.) She even flashed a smile and her accompanying dimple at the doc when he shined the light into her eyes.

And then came the vaccines.

She did great with the oral vaccine, though she did make a funny face when she first tasted it. Then I had to hold her arms as the nurse gave her three shots in her upper thighs in quick succession. She was very calm prior to the shots, then let out an awful, indescribable wail unlike any I'd ever heard from her just after the first shot was finished. Oh, the poor girl! The uber-sad pouty lip came out and her face turned deep red as she cried from the pain and I tried to comfort her as best I could. From start to finish, the shots took probably ten seconds, so I was able to pick her up and hold her close to me, which did calm her down fairly quickly. The nurse said she actually did great and didn't throw quite the fit that some babies throw. Still, I'm glad we won't have to do that again until early June.

Weight: 10 lbs., 4.5 oz. (50th percentile)

Height: 21 3/4 inches (25th percentile)

Head circumference: 15 inches (25th to 50th percentile)

3 Comments:

At March 27, 2007 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still cry when my kids get shots. You would think I would be used to it by now! Ashlyn gets super upset but Austin, the sadist, loves them. He had an infection about 2 months ago in his salivary gland (weird, right?) and we had to go to the hospital and he had to have an IV put in. He LOVED it! Enjoyed watching the needle go in never made a peep. The nurses were very impressed. We joke around that he loves pain so much he should be a dentist when he grows up. Sorry that tooth has to come out...YANK! I'm glad Baby did so well today, and thankfully they are over for 2 more months. Plenty of time for her to forget what happened.
~Beth

 
At March 27, 2007 5:42 PM, Blogger Serenity said...

Awwww, I feel like those shots might be worse on the mother than they are on the baby. Poor Baby B with the sore thigh...

She *IS* beautiful, though I know I'm also kinda biased... :)

 
At March 28, 2007 9:52 AM, Blogger LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

It sounds like she handled everything incredibly well! How many times have we, as adults, wanted to stick out our pouty lips when we get shots? Well, maybe I only speak for myself. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home