Monday, April 02, 2007

Some like it hot (but mothers get it cold)

In the beginning, there were hot meals. And they were good.

Recently? Not so much.

When Baby B first came home, we were able to time her feedings so that I'd feed her while The Husband was making dinner, thn put her down in the Pack and Play right afterward so she'd sleep while we were enjoying our meal together. "Look at us," we thought. "We have a baby AND we're still able to share a nice, hot meal together! We totally rock!"

How naive.

Fast-forward a couple of months and things are quite different now. Gone are the days when I can feed Baby B and move her somewhere else to sleep. She'll either sleep soundly nestled against me after a feeding, or if I move her elsewhere, she'll wake up and want to do something more active than sleep, and watching me eat isn't on that list for her.

I've recently become good at eating most meals in the recliner while nursing her, so we started timing dinner so that I start feeding her, then a few minutes later I get my own food and eat while she was eating. This works well with most foods we eat, though sandwiches are probably the biggest realistic challenge. (I say realistic challenge because I would imagine soup would be more difficult, but I wouldn't even try to eat that while nursing her.) The key seems to be getting The Husband to pre-cut my food so it's in more manageable amounts and ready for bites.

However, this past week was more of a challenge because *somebody* who's less than 22 inches tall would decide to not eat peacefully and I'd have to keep latching her on, which meant I needed use of my hands and had to put down my food until she was done. I wouldn't say this happened every time, but quite close. Hot meals? Yeah, they're not so hot when you have to put them down for a bit before eating them. I imagine that pretty soon, I'm going to be so used to eating cold (or, room temperature) meals that it's going to become my preference. I'll have to let my food cool off drastically before I can even touch it!

(On a semi-related note, we decided from the beginning when giving Baby B her once-a-day 2-oz. bottle of formula before bed to see if she'd take it at room temperature, as opposed to needed it warmed up. My thinking was that way, I could just put a bottle that has [pre-boiled] room temperature water in it in her diaper bag if we're going out, then mix formula in if we need to feed her [I'm not comfortable with the idea of nursing in public, and I'm not sure how realistic it is anyway since she spits up so much during and after feedings]. I know a lot of babies love the heated formula and don't want it if it's too cool to them, so I was trying to avoid her ever knowing that heated formula existed. And, so far she's taken to it without a problem at all. Of course, I can't control the temperature of my breastmilk when nursing her, but we try not to heat the milk too much when feeding her milk from a bottle, just to prevent her from rejecting the room temperature formula. Again, so far so good, it seems.)

3 Comments:

At April 02, 2007 5:55 PM, Blogger Serenity said...

Ok, so I'm going to demonsrate my absolute UN-knowledge of babies here. I had NO.IDEA that you could give babies room temperature formula. That's AWESOME.

(It just hit me that if ever we have a baby, that's the solution for nightly feedings*)

WOW! I learned something new today.


*since we're not sure I can BF, due to a reduction in 1998...

 
At April 02, 2007 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always gave my kidos their formula cold that way a bottle could be kept on ice and not warmed up. They also seemed to keep the formula down better if it were not room temp or warm.

And the meal situation gets no better after they stop nursing either. It's a constant battle of getting her more spilled peas, wiping up the spaghetti hanging out of her nose and tending to the mid supper crapola blow outs. (why do they wait until meals to explode?!?) I haven't had a hot meal in 7 years.
~Beth

 
At April 03, 2007 9:37 AM, Blogger LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

My sister told me years ago that she learned to eat really fast because, as a mother with two young children, she never knew when she would get another chance - and she bottle fed! It has only been in the last few years that she has been able to eat an entire meal without major interruptions - and her girls are 9 and 12! This is not to depress you, only to let you know that you are handling things really well under the circumstances!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home