Sunday, April 01, 2007

Small world and all that

At my best friend's wedding shower yesterday, I was chatting with a woman I'd just met, and since I had Baby B with me (which was a disaster at first, as she threw a fit and spit up on my shirt within minutes of arriving, though she pulled it together after about 10 minutes and was perfect the rest of the time), the woman asked me who delivered her. I told her who it was, and she said, "Oh my gosh, I used to date him." I would have been fine with leaving it as, "Wow, what a small world!" and moving on.

However, she had to start going into all the reasons why he sucked as a boyfriend and as a person in general, making me pretty uncomfortable. I mean, I feel some loyalty to him, as he delivered my child, but I was around him for probably less than an hour total since he wasn't my normal OB, so I didn't have anything to counter her arguments with, nor did I really have the desire to get into what was obviously an issue that struck a nerve with her. So that left me standing there just nodding, showing enough interest to not be completely rude but not enough that it would encourage her further, and hoping she'd get her bitchfest over with soon. Thankfully, as a co-host of the shower, I had other things to tend to and finally found a way to make a believable escape.

Still, uncomfortable as it was at times, it really is funny who you might run into sometimes!

1 Comments:

At April 02, 2007 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you handled it with more class than I would have. I would have said something crass like, "well, he was a perfect gentleman when he had his hand up my kooter ripping a child from my womb!" then stormed off.
But seriously, how uncomfortable for you, at least you had an excuse to get up and leave.
~Beth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home