Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I found my sheep!

I picked up Baby B a little while ago, and they said she did well. She took two four-ounce bottles every 2 1/2 hours during her half-day (that's a big deal to know because I'm just having to guess what size bottles--and how many--to send since she's been nursing and I don't know exactly how much she's been getting at a time. This is yet another reason it's good to test-drive daycare before starting back at work, though my work is close enough to the daycare that if she ran out of food at the end of the day, I could always go feed her if I needed to).

She was in the swing when I got there and seemed happy and content. I sat on the floor beside her and chatted with the teacher for probably half an hour before going home, just to get a sense of how things run. They said she liked the swing, liked looking up at the mobile in her crib while kicking away and "talking" up a storm, and also kicking away while on the activity mat. She napped for only about an hour, but she doesn't nap a ton during the day with me, which is just fine for now since she's sleeping well at night. (Though, she's been napping in her car seat for the half-hour we've been home, thus my ability to write this post).

The only thing that made me a little uncomfortable at first was that one of the older infants was walking around and fell and bonked the back of his head a little when he tripped over the leg of one of the swings. Each of the teachers had a child in their arms at that particular moment and made a move to go help him, but I was the closest one (and didn't have anyone in my arms like they did) so I went to help him up and start getting him calmed down while one of the teachers made herself available to take over. I guess some parents might have an issue with me being the first one to the scene since I'm not one of the teachers, yet I figured if it'd been Baby B who fell and was upset, then I'd want someone there for her as soon as possible, even though it took just 10 or 15 seconds (if that) for the teacher to be available. It's hard to see kids fall and get hurt like that, but I just have to remember that things like that would be just as likely to happen at home. The good part is that the teachers seemed appropriately concerned (ie, concerned enough, but not panicky), made moves to help out, and calmed him down fairly quickly. Kids will fall and hurt themselves no matter what, but it's the reaction to it that matters.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet the other teacher because she was on her lunch break when I was there (the director was filling in for her). I think we're taking her for another half-day on Friday, so hopefully I'll get to meet her then.


At April 11, 2007 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so nice to pick the little one up from daycare. Just wait until she can greet you with "Money!" That is what my little guy calls me when I pick him up from daycare. I get all warm and fuzzy knowing that he is glad to see me at the end of the day.


Post a Comment

<< Home