Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Family boredom day?

I think it's sometimes easier to figure out what kind of parent you want to be when you see other people doing it the way you don't think it should be done. Yesterday was one of those times.

I was at a restaurant for lunch yesterday and at the table next to us was a couple about my age with what looked to be an 18-month-old and a less-than-two-month-old. Mom tended to the baby and Dad tended to the tyke in the highchair, and neither of them said a single word to each other or their children--except for "Are you ready?" when they were about to leave--during the entire time we were there. They could not have looked more bored with each other and their family than they displayed yesterday afternoon. I'm sure they're very tired and stressed, and I didn't have the whole picture, but what's the point of even going out to eat if you're not going to have a little fun with it?

Then again, if you look around a typical restaurant, you'll find that most people there don't look like they're enjoying themselves in the least. Maybe it's not limited to just new parents.

1 Comments:

At June 14, 2006 4:09 PM, Blogger Serenity said...

Well, at least the kids weren't running around screaming (which of course would be quite a feat for the 2 month old)... I would absolutely prefer boredom to mom and dad totally into each other and ignoring the kids.

I often like to watch other people at restaurants just to try and guess what they are thinking. It's a secret game I play.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home