Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A horse named Charley

Last night I woke up around 2 a.m. with an incredibly painful charley horse in my right calf. Because I was aroused from a deep sleep when it happened, it was hard to make it stop hurting since I was so disoriented. I finally got the intense pain to stop, but my calf aches so much today. Upon conducting some research, I found that charley horses do occur in pregnancy, but not usually this early. So, it may or may not be pregancy-related, but I'm leaning toward not...at least at this point.

There are three main suggestions to prevent them from happening, two of which I do regularly. One is take vitamins, especially calcium. I'm good there, as I've been taking prenatal vitamins daily since September. Another suggestion is to eat bananas for the potassium. That might be where many people's charley horses originate, but I've eaten a banana every day (well, about six days a week) for about the past three months. No problem there. The third suggestion is to drink more water. I feel like I drink plenty (and I have the frequent bathroom trips to prove it), but I guess I should increase my intake. I've never had a charley horse before, and I'd rather not experience it again, so I should do what I can to prevent it.

I also had another strange episode last night before bed. I was pretty sleepy all night long, but at one point when I walked the 15 feet from the couch to the computer chair, I got light-headed and dizzy all of a sudden and lost my balance. For about the next half-hour (until I went to bed), I didn't feel so hot. Again, I don't know if it was pregnancy-related, but it was enough out of the ordinary to take note. I feel fine in that regard this morning.

Today marks five weeks. (Only five weeks?) Just 35 more to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home