Sunday, June 04, 2006

A commitment

Prior to becoming pregnant this most recent time, I'd put a lot of my efforts while waiting to conceive into losing weight. Since the middle of March, I've lost about 16 pounds. Even though it's frustrating to know I'm going to put that weight back on in the coming months, it's good to know that at least I'm starting out 16 pounds lighter than what I would have been. I'll still need to lose more than just baby weight after all this is over, but I've given myself a better start than I would have had otherwise.

Because of my recent hard work in this area, I'm very committed to maintaining my better eating and exercise habits as I go through pregnancy in an effort to be as healthy as possible. I wasn't approaching my new healthy outlook as an "only until pregnancy" thing, but I plan to continue this. I don't want to be one of those women who uses pregnancy as an excuse to eat junk food nonstop. I know I have to be careful with my weight, now more than ever. I just can't lose sight of that. My doctor previously said he would not be concerned if I lost weight in the first trimester as long as it was because I was eating well and not because of a crash diet, so I will continue to do my best and if more weight comes off, I won't worry. But my goal now has shifted away from taking off weight.

My approach will continue to be the same. Healthier meal choices, smaller portions, healthy snacks, and plenty of exercise. However--and I think this is key for me--I will not completely deny myself some food vices but instead show control and restraint in my periodic indulgences. This will not be a regular thing, but if I'd like to go out for ice cream, I'll go out for ice cream. I just have to make sure I don't overdo it on other food for that day. If I completely deny myself, however, I'll develop an even bigger desire to have what I cannot have, and eventually I'll give in and overdo it. Allowing myself such occasional indulgences will allow me to avoid that problem.

It's not going to be an easy task, but I'm fully committed to making it work. I've started on the right foot in the past few weeks, and I just have to build on that now. I think it's within my reach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home