Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Did you see that door frame attack my toe?

Second post of the day, but I think it needs to be its own post instead of tacked on to the previous one.

So, I went to bed at 10:30 p.m. last night and got to sleep fairly quickly. Around 11:30 p.m., I woke up for the first time to go to the bathroom (I swear I'm on an hourly schedule for that). I peed and was leaving the bathroom in an obviously sleepy state and misjudged, well, everything and ran my left foot--specifically my left pinky toe--into the door frame. Immediately the pain was intense and awful, and I had trouble getting back to sleep right after it happened because no matter how I laid, it was uncomfortable for my poor toe (it either hit the covers or the bed itself).

I figured I'd wake up this morning and the pain would have subsided, but it hurt just as much. Walking on it was very difficult, and putting shoes and socks on was torture. By the time I got to work, I hardly hesitate to call my doctor about it...which, if you know anything about me, says a lot about how much pain I was in, because I don't just call the doctor for any little pain or sniffle. I HATE going to the doctor, so I only go when I feel like I don't have much choice. I figured they wouldn't be able to do anything for it even if it were broken, but I felt like I needed to go to make sure, especially with the knowledge of adding even more weight to my frame in the coming two months (eeek...my due date is two months from today!).

I went to the doctor and he looked at my swollen, red toe that had some bits of purple to it. He did the obligatory "Does this hurt?" stuff ("Heck yeah it hurts! That's why I'm here, dude!") and said there's a good chance there's a slight fracture there, but he didn't want to do an X-ray for two reasons: 1) because I'm pregnant (though there are precautions that could be taken) and 2) because it'd be the same "treatment" whether it were a sprain or a minor break. He said if I insisted, he'd request the X-ray, but I declined since it really didn't matter as far as treatment was concerned.

"Treatment" consisted of telling me to take Tylenol (I couldn't even get the good pain medicine because of Le Baby), tape the little toe to the neighbhoring toe, and wear shoes (even if just slippers) at all times around the house. I figured that's how the appointment would turn out, but I knew I needed to get it checked, so it wasn't really too big a waste of time. I knew I'd regret it if I hadn't gone and later suffered problems with the toe and they said, "We could have fixed this if you'd come in when you first injured it." He said if it's a sprain, it should heal within three weeks, and if it's a fracture, it should heal within six weeks.

*********

Here's a related story about how much my co-workers suck (as if you needed further proof). I was walking to my morning meeting (before going to the doctor) and tripped over a box that's beside my desk, falling all the way to the floor. I braced myself pretty well, catching myself on my knees and hands, and fell away from the already-injured toe. One co-worker was walking with me, so she was able to help catch me a little bit. It made quite a noise when this happened, but not ONE OTHER PERSON even peeked their head out to make sure I was okay. Nice, huh? Good thing everything turned out okay or who knows how long they would have let me lie there!

Some days it feels like if it's not one thing, it's another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home