Monday, July 23, 2007

You'll love the new menu at Restaurant Mommy

Tonight was another one of those milestones that make you realize just how much time has passed. We gave Baby B her first solids tonight. Well, I guess "solids" should be in quotes since it's not like she was gnawing on a carrot stick or popping Cheerios like candy. (That's what I always think of when I hear solids.)

Things did not start out on the smoothest note. I decided to heat up the first batch of rice cereal to take the chill off the milk that had been in the fridge. I walked away and heated it too much, and it would've taken too long to cool down. That batch went into the trash.

Take two. I mixed it up, a little thicker than the first time since that was a bit too runny, and got it to just the temperature I wanted. I set the bowl on the dining table, and The Husband made a comment about needing to move it farther from Baby B so she didn't knock it over. He pushed it out of her reach, but we forgot that she has super-extender monkey arms, and she still managed to knock it over, spilling it on her and on the carpet, much to The Dog's delight. ("Rice cereal? Yes, please," he exclaimed.)

Okay, take three, then. We got it right on the third try. Good consistency, good temperature, and this time it stayed in the bowl until it was time to put it on the spoon.

After all that, I was a little nervous about her actually eating the rice cereal. But from the very first bite, she was very into it. She'd reach out for the spoon and pull it closer to her. She'd open her very mouth wide. We didn't have any problems with her not knowing how to swallow the food. (Maybe all these months of Zantac have helped teach her that? Have I mentioned before that she loves Zantac time?) So, all in all a success (well, once her incompetent, fumbling parents got started). We'll do rice cereal all this week, then this weekend I think we're going to dive into sweet potatoes. We'll definitely have the camera at the ready for that and many more adventures to come!

4 Comments:

At July 23, 2007 10:29 PM, Blogger BellaLovesPink said...

Definitely a huge milestone! Go Baby B!

 
At July 24, 2007 1:47 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Love the pic!! She looks HAPPY about the new menu selections. :-)

 
At July 24, 2007 3:27 PM, Blogger K said...

She's beautiful! They grow up so fast. Congrats on the mileston!

 
At July 24, 2007 6:16 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

I can totally see us taking three tries to get the cereal right and in the mouth! I was thinking before that solids were going to just be a pain but now I'm thinking they'll be kind of fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home