Monday, July 16, 2007

Ear all about it

Sunday wasn't any better for Baby B; in fact, it was probably her worst day so far. She threw up again in the morning before I went to work (again after taking some medicine, this time Tylenol), and she continued with an off-and-on fever, constant chest congestion, cough, and an occasional runny nose. But most of all, she definitely didn't seem like her usual happy-go-lucky self...she had a nearly constant whimper that made it obvious that she didn't feel well, and she wasn't smiley at all. In fact, it took a lot of effort just to get a half-smile out of her. I had to work, so The Husband was in charge of taking care of her all day trying to alleviate her symptoms and make her as comfortable as possible. Thankfully she's still been sleeping like normal during the night and she's been eating just fine.

We got up early this morning and I got ready in case we needed to see the doctor. Baby B was still congested, though her spirits seemed a little better, she seemed a little more playful, and she didn't have a fever. Still, I figured I should call the doctor to get her in just in case it was something more serious, plus I was off today and might as well do it while I don't have to take time off work. I called the office when they opened at 7:30 this morning and they could get us in at 8:30, so off we went.

The doctor said it sounds like she has a chest cold, but there's not much we can do about that other than what we've been doing. He did say she has an ear infection in her left ear, probably the cause of the fever, so she's started amoxicillin for that. He said if she doesn't show improvement by Thursday to call back. I kind of hate that we have to put her on antibiotics at such a young age since I know they're often overprescribed, but an ear infection isn't something you want to mess with because of the potential for serious complications, so she'll get "the pink medicine" (as we always called it growing up) as directed by her doctor. I just hope this isn't the start of a constant battle with ear infections.

Just for the record, she weighed 14 pounds, 10.5 ounces today.

Oh yeah, and happy 2nd anniversary to The Husband!

1 Comments:

At July 16, 2007 4:54 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

I'm so sorry Baby B is sick but I completely understand. My little Aiden had strep throat last week, which made for a very unhappy, un-Aiden like guy. He had the pink medicine too, which we call "bubble gum medicine". I hope Baby B gets to feeling a lot better very soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home