Friday, July 06, 2007

On the outside looking in

There's something about playgroups that's always bothered me a little, but I haven't ever been able to put my finger on what it is that bugs me. Maybe part of it is that I don't consider myself an outgoing person among a group of strangers--though I'm fine once I get to know people--so the thought of being comfortable in a group of people I don't know is a little laughable.

However, I've started to realize that my interests and priorities are a lot more different now than they used to be, so maybe it's time I make some additional friends who can relate better to what I'm going through. I've gotten good support in this arena with a couple of my online message boards, but it's just not quite the same as personal, in-the-flesh interaction.

However, after searching online for some playgroups in my area, I've come to the realization that nearly all of them are 1) religion-based through a church (no thanks) and/or targeted toward stay-at-home moms (which does not include me). So far I've not found a single playgroup that meets at a time other than when I'm at work, so that leaves me shut out of the exclusive club.

Our libraries even have storytimes for young children, and I thought that might be fun to attend from time to time, but those groups meet on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Naturally there are no programs for infants on Mondays when I'm actually off work and could go during the day. I understand it's probably easier for the library to schedule these storytimes during the day for a variety of reasons, but I wish they had perhaps a Saturday morning program that rotated throughout the month (infants on the first Saturday of the month, 1- to 2-year olds on the second Saturday, etc.) to give those of us who work a chance to participate in such activities and make connections with others in our local community.

I'm glad that at least Baby B is getting some good social interaction from being at daycare--probably more than I could realistically expose her to if I did stay at home--but makes me a little sad that it means that I miss out on that social interaction with other moms myself.

3 Comments:

At July 07, 2007 5:55 PM, Blogger BellaLovesPink said...

Amen! While I was on maternity leave, I attended a mommy group/play group and it was Monday mornings. Granted, it was neat interacting with other newer mommies and their kids, it was largely well-to-do moms with too much time on their hands. I could only take it a handful of times. Thankfully, daycare has been a great opportunity for AJ to interact socially, b/c I'd have probably shot myself if I had to deal with those ladies any more than I did.

 
At July 08, 2007 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might also try book stores, not just the libraries. The ones around here have different times during the week for different age groups and they also have a bedtime storytime where the kids come dressed in their pj's at night. I always thought that was a cool idea.
You might also try posting an online ad on www.craigslist.com or in a community newsletter/newspaper. I don't know if your commmunity has any kind of publication but you could always post an ad in one of those.
I understand your wanting to interact with other moms, it's nice to have someone other than the Husband to talk to sometimes.
~Beth

 
At July 08, 2007 11:09 PM, Blogger DMB said...

Beth--Good idea to look into bookstores...I hadn't thought of that. However, I looked at the bookstore that I thought had the best chance of having something like that, and guess when their infant storytime is? Sundays at 11:30 a.m. When do I go to work on Sundays? Noon. *sigh* I guess The Husband now has something he can do with her on Sundays.

I've got one more bookstore I can check, but I didn't see an online schedule, so I'll have to look for a flyer or schedule posted at the store.

D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home