Friday, March 02, 2007

Some relief in sight

Baby B has had problems with spitting up for a couple weeks now, and it's gotten worse over the past few days. In addition, she's seemed very uncomfortable while nursing and was trying to push me away even though she was obviously still hungry. After some research with Dr. Google, I determined that she had the classic symptoms of acid reflux. Two sleepless nights later, I decided to call the doctor to see if we could try to take care of it before I lost my mind. I took her in this afternoon, and he agreed that it sounds like reflux and gave her a prescription for Zantac (which, naturally, my new insurance won't cover). The doctor said the medicine probably won't help with the spitting up, but it should help make her more comfortable with feeding. I hope that's the case, because it's hard to see her hurting when I can't do much about it.

She weighed 8 lb., 8 1/2 oz. at the doctor today, though that was with a diaper on (all the other weigh-ins were diaperless).

1 Comments:

At March 03, 2007 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learned to not burp my babies until they absolutely needed it and that really lessened their spitting up. They never had reflux but they very rarely spit up after that. My friend used to feed her baby 4-5 ounces and then immediately sit her up and start poumnding her back. No wonder the poor thing spit up everywhere, she never had a chance to digest. I was very lucky though my kids were never colic-y or gassy. But I very rarely ever needed to burp them.
~Beth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home