Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Two-week pediatrician appointment: check!

Weight: 6 pounds, 5 ounces (25th percentile)

Height: 19 1/2 inches (25th percentile)

Head circumference: 14 inches (50th percentile)

I took Baby B to the pediatrician this morning for her two-week check-up (well, she's actually 2 1/2 weeks), and everything went well. She's gained a full pound since her last weight check two weeks ago, so the doctor was very happy with that, especially since she lost weight when she was jaundiced. He said that gaining about an ounce a day is really good, and she gained 16 ounces in a 14-day period. After examining her, he said everything looked good and there was nothing to be concerned about.

I asked about the fact that she won't sleep on her back...as soon as I put her down, she rolls onto one side or the other. Right now it's not that big a deal because she sleeps in her swing most of the time, but she does take naps in either the mini co-sleeper or the Pack N Play. The doctor said it's nothing he would worry about, as long as she's not sleeping on her stomach.

I also asked about when I should start pumping, since I'll have to do that once I return to work. I know some doctors recommend you don't start pumping until at least 4 weeks unless you have to, so I wanted his opinion on it, and he said it'd be a good idea to go ahead and start any time. So now I need to start researching double electric pumps (any specific recommendations from anyone reading this?) and get that purchased so I can get started doing that.

I'm nursing her most of the time, and then we're feeding her 2 ounces of formula usually once or twice a day. This started originally when she had jaundice and needed the extra nourishment, but it's been a nice addition to our routine, as it's allowed The Husband to feed her at night and give me a bit of a break. I mentioned to the doctor that we were still including the formula in her diet, and he said he's in favor of us keeping up with that if we want. He said that in addition to giving her a supplement to the nutrition she's already receiving from me, it will also give me an occasional break if I want it and put me into a more relaxed mindset for taking care of her during the night. He said that would also be a natural time of day to get some pumping done (without having to worry about feeding her also) if she's being fed with formula.

Next office visit: March 27, when she gets her first major round of vaccinations. Maybe I'll let The Husband take her to that one!

2 Comments:

At February 14, 2007 3:18 PM, Blogger BellaLovesPink said...

Glad to hear Baby B is doing well!

As far as pumping, i use the Medela In Style pump. It's pricey, but it's great! I also have an Avent hand pump, which is great b/c it's small and portable (good for travel and to keep by the bed at night when I get engorged). I just bought another one for when I go back to work next week.

 
At February 14, 2007 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Medela Pump in style was the one I used as well. I like it. It is good to see such a growth spurt.

Nikki

 

Post a Comment

<< Home