Saturday, January 27, 2007

A rumbling of the earthquake to come

(Warning: TMI in post)

It's quite possible that I'm currently in the beginning stages of labor.

Or, it could be a false alarm.

Last night after dinner, I had some diarrhea. I didn't automatically think, "It's the start of labor!" but I did take note of it since it's unusual for me. Around 11 p.m., I started getting what feels exactly like moderately strong menstrual cramps, mostly in my lower back but also around the front a little, as well. I've read this is how labor starts in most cases, so of course that put me on alert since I've (thankfully) not had any form of cramping during this pregnancy. Around that same time, I noticed some bloody show on my pantyliner, again an usual occurrence since I haven't had spotting except for immediately after my recent internals. My last internal was on Wednesday, so this was not left from that, and there has been no other irritation to the cervix that would be the cause of the spotting.

I went to bed around midnight last night and didn't sleep well at all, partly because of the constant menstrual-like cramping, partly because of being anxious, and partly from excitement. I'm still a little in denial that this is the real thing, but I'm sort of making myself assume it is so I can better prepare myself mentally. This morning, the cramping has morphed into what seems like are occassional contractions, but nothing yet with the frequency, strength, or regularity that I need to call the doctor about quite yet. (Don't worry, I won't hesitate when it's time. I have no designs of having this baby at home.) I had to get up this morning to take The Dog to get groomed, and we don't have to pick him up until this afternoon, so I'm going to go back to bed as soon as I finish this so I can rest up as much as possible in case this is the real thing (especially since I didn't get much rest last night).

We're scheduled to attend an open house this afternoon at a new daycare that's opening right by my work. Think if I go there in labor they'll feel sorry for me and give us a spot when we need it? :) I do hope we can attend the open house, but if not, then all we have to do is call them to schedule a tour at a better time. Believe me, I'm not going to drag myself over there if I'm not feeling up to it.

So, this could be the start of it. Or it could be nothing and we're still days/weeks away. A January baby, perhaps? We'll know before long. I'll try my best to make a quick post if we end up going to the hospital, but I can't guarantee it.

Back to bed I go!

4 Comments:

At January 27, 2007 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh oh my gosh hooray hooray hooray~!!!! Keep us posted!
~Beth

 
At January 27, 2007 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh D - if this *is* the real deal (and I'm thinking it might be)... then I am sending you many easy labor vibes.

*hugs!*

 
At January 27, 2007 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Good luck! Sending vibes!!

 
At January 28, 2007 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah!! Hang in there! It is all worth once you are are holding that beautiful baby girl!!!!
Nikki

 

Post a Comment

<< Home