Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A lesson in humility

In a way, I don't even know how to start this post, because I feel like I don't have the proper words to express my surprise and gratitude.

First of all, The Husband and I have been fortunate to have so many generous friends and family, and we've loved every gift we've received from them for Baby B. I do not take that for granted at all.

But I think what makes me truly speechless is the fact that we've had several people that we've known just peripherally who have given us gifts that we never expected. My mom's best friend from high school (whom I've never met, by the way), made a beautiful baby quilt for our girl. A part-time co-worker of mine gave us a Mother Goose book and a cute outfit, then another part-time co-worker brought me a cute album for pictures today. (Both of these co-workers are people that I'm friendly with, but I just don't talk to them very often.) The wife of one of my supervisors crocheted a gorgeous afghan for us that she sent to the office yesterday--and I've only met her a few times (she came in to work for me as an extra proofreader on one of our busiest days of the year back in November).

The fact that these people, who are not among our closest friends, thought of us during this time and in some cases spent long hours making these things for us--I just really can't put into words how much that means. A thank-you note seems like too little for such gifts of kindness and love.

1 Comments:

At January 25, 2007 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, people LOVE babies. And they love to do things for babies!

But yeah, I remember feeling really humbled by people's generosity when J and I got married.

You know nice people. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home