Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Ready for a baby (in general) at 24 weeks

(Sorry, I still don't have the ultrasound pics ready to post. I'll try to get that done tonight so I can post them tomorrow. But honestly, if you've seen one ultrasound picture, you've seen them all!)

Naturally, being pregnant is a time in which you reflect on your life, both past and present, and sort of take stock of how things are going and how you want things to be. Even though when I was younger I always envisioned having children in my mid-20s, I'm actually glad that it's happened that I'll be just short of 30 when I have my first child.

My mom had me (the first-born) when she was 30. However, back then, everyone was having children in their early 20s, so I was a bit of an oddball because most of my friends' parents were a solid decade younger than mine. Things have shifted in the past generation, and people are waiting (either by choice or circumstance) to have children.

For me, I was able to have my 20s to myself; I had a chance to go fun places, do exciting things, and life live how I wanted to, not bogged down by advanced responsibilities. That's not to say that everyone should wait to have children or that it's a bad thing to have kids while in your 20s--I know plenty of people who did it that way and cannot imagine having done it any differently--but all I'm saying is that as I look back at my life and look to the future, I can confidently say that I am ready for children and feel I can give more of myself to them, as I've had a chance to experience life as an adult without them. There are no doubts in my mind about this new challenge.

What I'm really trying to say is this: We're ready for you, Baby B! See you in about 16 weeks!

Weight loss/gain:
3w5d starting weight
5w (-1.2 pounds)
6w (-3 pounds, -4.2 pounds total)
7w (-2.4 pounds, -6.6 pounds total)
8w (-1 pound, -7.6 pounds total)
9w (-2 pounds, -9.6 pounds total)
10w (-2.6 pounds, -12.2 pounds total)
11w (+1 pound, -11.2 pounds total)
12w (+3.6 pounds, -7.6 pounds total)
13w (+1.0 pound, -6.6 pounds total)
14w (+1.2 pounds, -5.4 pounds total)
15w (+3.4 pounds, -2 pounds total)
16w (+2.0 pounds, no change total)
17w (+2.0 pounds, +2.0 pounds total)
18w1d (+2.0 pounds, +4.0 pounds total)
19w (-1.0 pound, +3.0 pounds total)
20w (-0.4 pounds, +2.6 pounds total)
21w (+1.4 pounds, +4.0 pounds total)
22w (-0.4 pounds, +3.6 pounds total)
23w (+3.4 pounds, +7.0 pounds total)
24w (+0.8 pounds, +7.8 pounds total)

3 Comments:

At October 17, 2006 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom was 37 when she had me, she thought she was going through menopause but NOPE- ME! I was 23 when I had my first but I had also been with my husband for 4 years and he was 29. I always wanted to have children young because it was horrible growing up with my mom being that old. She always (and still does) went to bed at 8 p.m. Forget about me getting to go anywhere at night, she was never awake to pick me up! I made a vow to myself that I was going to be a "cool" mom. By the time my mom had me and I started going through puberty she was in her 50's and was talking about "menstrual belts" and not shaving above the knee. Talk about an old fogey! All my friends had these young cool moms and everyone thought my mom was my grandmother. But look how things have changed. 37 back in the 70's was old compared to today's standards. Much more women are waiting until they establish their careers and waiting longer to get married. I say Kudos to them. I just knew I wanted to have kids young so I could enjoy my twilight years with my husband. Still be in my 50's when the kids go off to college and be able to know my grandchildren.

My mom's mother was 40 when she had her and died when I was 3. My grandfather died when I was 9 and my other two grandparents died before I was born. Tim still has all 4 of his grandparents living and he's 35! I want to know my grandchildren since I never had the chance.

I am so glad that you feel it's the right time to have a baby. Sounds like you have everything right where you want it!

The second trimester is the BEST! Enjoy it, because by the end of the third you will be saying, "get this thing outta me!"

~Beth

 
At October 17, 2006 10:52 AM, Blogger BellaLovesPink said...

I agree completely! Looking back, I can not imagine having kids before I did. I'm thankful I was able to enjoy my 20's without being "tied down". And lords knows, a baby did not fit into my budget or my career path at that time.

My mom had me at 19 when she had me. I married at 28, conceived at 30 and welcomed our daughter at 31 and I wouldn't have it any other way.

 
At October 17, 2006 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in my mid 20s when I had my first child and it was scary!

Glad you are slowly gaining weight - are you feeling good? Are you able to eat?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home