Monday, June 04, 2007

The p word

I know a lot of people are fond of calling their daughter a "princess," but that is strictly a forbidden word in the House o' Baby B. There's just something about it that really rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps it's the implication that she gets whatever she wants without having to really ever earn it. Maybe it's the idea that whenever she's in distress, she'll always have someone magically come to her rescue and get her out of trouble. Or maybe it's the unreal expectation of a perfect fairy-tale life ahead of her, complete with a handsome Prince Charming awaiting her just around the corner. It seems a bit out there and too much of a fantasy for my taste, so I'm always careful not to call her my little princess, whether when we're alone or around other people. And you know, it's a shame because it seems like half of the cute onesies out there have some cutesy saying like "Daddy's little princess" or "High maintenance" on them. Call me crazy, but it's just not the image I want my daughter to be conveying to others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home