Saturday, June 02, 2007

A day in the life of

Inspired by a recent similar post by Bella Loves Pink, I'm going to detail a typical weekday in the life of our family from start to finish, mostly to document it for myself, as I know I'll forget things like this down the road.

5:30 a.m. - First alarm goes off.
5:50 a.m. - Get out of bed and take my shower.
6:10 a.m. - Wake up The Husband, blow-dry hair, put on make-up.
6:20 a.m. - The Husband wakes up Baby B and changes her diaper.
6:30 a.m. - Nurse Baby B for 15 to 20 minutes while The Husband takes shower and gets ready for work.
7:05 a.m. - Pick out clothes for Baby B, put bottles in daycare bag, change diaper, and dress Baby B.
7:15 a.m. - Put Baby B in car seat and send her and The Husband off.
7:20 a.m. - Grab something I can eat one-handed for breakfast (English muffin, granola bar, something like that) and pump the other side.
7:30 a.m. - The Husband and Baby B arrive at daycare and he spends 10 to 15 minutes with her there to make sure she's happy and comfortable before he leaves. During the day, she gets bottles at 9:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., and 3:30 p.m. right now.
7:40 a.m. - Finish getting dressed and gather my pump (including ice pack for bottles I'll pump during the day) and work tote bag.
7:55 a.m. - Leave for work.
8:00 a.m. - Arrive at work; often the first one there.
10:30 a.m. - Pumping break (usually 15 minutes).
1:00 p.m. - Go home for lunch break. Fix something quick to eat, then try to get some baby-related tasks done, like folding laundry, starting laundry, replenishing diaper supply, adding more wipes to the container, washing bottles, etc.
3:30 p.m. - Pumping break (usually 15 minutes).
5:00 p.m. - Leave work.
5:05 p.m. - Arrive at daycare to pick up Baby B. Chat with teacher and ask how things went during the day.
5:20 p.m. - Arrive home. Change Baby B's diaper and possibly her clothes. Boil water for bedtime formula bottle so it has time to cool before feeding.
5:30 p.m. - Play with Baby B, usually on a blanket on the floor, practicing rolling over both ways and sitting up and standing.
6:00 p.m. - Nurse Baby B for 20 or 25 minutes. Sometimes both of us doze off briefly after the feeding. The Husband starts making dinner during the feeding and also starts washing some bottles and dishes.
6:40 p.m. - Eat dinner.
7:00 p.m. - Play with Baby B and/or go for a walk with the whole family.
7:15 p.m. - Bath time (if it's a bath night). If it's not a bath night, then the playing continues. Sometimes it's storytime.
7:30 p.m. - The Husband takes care of Baby B by putting her diaper on, getting her dressed, and making sure she stays calm after her bath. During this time, I prepare the formula bottle.
7:40 p.m. - The Husband and Baby B sit down in the recliner and I bring them the bottle and he feeds her. During this time, I go to the kitchen and make bottles for the next day, wash empty bottles, and usually clean up from dinner. I then fill the tank to the humidifier in her room.
8:15 p.m. - The Husband performs the final diaper check and puts a sleeper on Baby B. He cradles her in his arms and walks the length of the house a few times in order to get her to the point of being drowsy but still awake.
8:20 p.m. - The Husband puts Baby B in her crib, turns on the crib aquarium and her mobile, and leaves the room. She's usually completely zonked out within minutes.
8:30 p.m. - Finally a chance to check e-mail, check my parenting message boards, pay bills, do baby laundry, and prepare things for the next day's dinner if possible (even if it's just taking something out of the freezer). Take a bath if there's time. Sometimes plead for a backrub.
9:45 p.m. - Pump both sides one last time before going to bed.
11 p.m. (ideally) - Go to bed.


Post a Comment

<< Home