Monday, May 07, 2007

Beyond the ABCs

I've recently been thinking about all of those things that we just know as adults that we had to learn at some point when we were growing up (but take for granted that we know now), and it's sometimes a little overwhelming to think of just how many things--both big and small--we have to teach Baby B during the first part of her life.

This came about because one day recently I was thinking about how often babies fart, and how they just do it without thinking about it, with no hesitation, no shame. But obviously at some point, kids are taught that doing that around other people isn't socially polite. I don't ever remember being taught that lesson, but obviously I picked up on it. That's something we'll have to teach her down the road, but it's not one of those things that you think about having to teach your kids along with their ABCs, their telephone number, and not to get in the car with strangers. There's so much knowledge to pass on, and I don't want to forget anything!

2 Comments:

At May 08, 2007 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids are 7 and 4 and still think it's funny to let one rip every now and again. The funniest is when we are shopping and the little one says, "mommy I just tooted!" then gets the fit of the giggles. At least the 7 year old is discreet enough to do it and then let you wander through it only to stop, make the face and look around before he starts cracking up laughing. My kids are so crude.
~Beth

 
At May 08, 2007 12:52 PM, Blogger K said...

Well, my sister is 26 and I don't know if she's learned that lesson yet. She and Baby B share the same first name, so you might be in trouble!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home