Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I didn't see this coming

Some days I really wish I could go back to bed, crawl underneath the covers, and not come out for days. Today has been one of those days.

So, I found out today that my company has decided to switch health care plans. Well, not just health care plans, but health care providers altogether.

Effective date: February 1.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you that I'm due February 6.

NOT what I wanted to have to deal with during my last few weeks.

Enrollment isn't until next week, but obviously I have some concerns about this, so I was put in touch with our insurance broker to answer my questions. I only talked to her for about five minutes because she said she was between meetings, but she seems to think this is not going to be a problem for me. Of course, if everything happens in January or everything happens in February, then things should go relatively smoothly (aside from having to pay both my re-set 2007 deductible for my old plan and the new deductible for the new plan).

But does anyone want to place money on me having the baby on January 31, then staying in the hospital into the next month when the plan switches? Can't you see it happening, just because that'd be the biggest headache? I can just imagine the battle between insurance companies, with each of them saying, "No, we're not covering that."

I know I'm not the first person to have this happen, but it's just not something I envisioned having to deal with at this stage. And this doesn't even get into what the maternity coverage will be on the new plan, which I didn't have a chance to ask before the insurance broker had to get off the phone. I'll find out next week at enrollment. Our current plan covers 90% and we're responsible for 10%, which is better than it was on our previous plan that was 80/20. I have no idea what the new plan will be, but I'm not getting my hopes up that it'll still be 90/10 (or dare I dream 100%?) and am trying to prepare myself for it to be something worse. I mean, why would my company start looking out for me now?

At least my OB and the pediatrician group we chose are covered under the new plan, from what I can tell. That's something, I guess.

4 Comments:

At January 10, 2007 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if you do switch plans pregnancy is not considered a pre-existing condition, so you should have no lapse in coverage. The baby is automatically covered for the first 30 days under the mother's insurance no matter what.
Here's hoping you have your baby after February 1st or before January 31st with your go home date of the 31st. If you talk to your OBGYN they can induce you early. That is if you want to be induced. Lots of women are anti-induction but it was a life saver for me and my children and neither of suffered any ill effects.

Crawl under the covers and mope, you deserve it.

~beth

 
At January 11, 2007 8:48 AM, Blogger DMB said...

Just to clarify, I do know that in theory there should not be a lapse in coverage. But, I also know what a pain in the rump insurance companies can be, so I just envision it being made into a big deal by them as far as who's covering what if it happens that I'm in the hospital during the changeover. Hopefully I'll make it to February and it won't be as much of an issue.

I'm not crazy about the idea of inductions because I know it can often lead to more painful contractions with the pitocin, and I especially am not crazy about inductions for non-medical reasons. So, that will not be a request I'll be making of my doctor.

D

 
At January 11, 2007 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still think you're going to go late and this won't be an issue. But come on, here, people! This is a little silly now...

*hugs* hope you got some ice cream or something last night to make the day a little brighter.

 
At January 11, 2007 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I didn't mean that you should get induced I just meant that as a suggestion. Like Serenity said, hopefully you will be well into February and the switch over will be hassle free. I hope it goes smoothly and seamlessly. I have a feeling everything will be fine in the end but this still has to be stressful this close to your due date. Good luck to you, many hugs!
~Beth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home