Friday, January 05, 2007

The long list

Outside of this blog, I've tried to keep my pregnancy complaints to a minimum. Whenever anyone (especially a co-worker) has asked how I'm feeling, my typical answer has been, "Pretty good overall" because I know they don't really want to hear a list of complaints. And actually, despite some obvious exceptions (morning sickness and gallstone attacks), those complaints haven't really been that numerous, at least not at any given time.

But, seeing as how I'm cranky because I've been awake since 3:30 a.m. (with just a tiny bit of dozing between then and my alarm going off at 6:30), I'm in a complaining mood. So here goes:

*The obvious: I've been awake since 3:30 a.m.

*I can't lean forward at my desk (which I need to do in order to read magazine pages) for more than about 10 seconds at a time because I get a foot or some other body part jammed into my ribcage and it hurts. Well, it doesn't always hurt, but it's certainly uncomfortable.

*Walking up stairs takes my breath away--and not in that Top Gun kind of way!

*I was nauseated earlier in the week and I finally threw up this morning.

*IT'S FREAKING HOT IN MY OFFICE BUILDING!!! (Have I mentioned this before?) It was 61 degrees outside when I left for work. The fact that I'm wearing a short-sleeved shirt in January doesn't make any sense. Where's a good cold snap when I need it?

*I'm down to about four or five shirts that comfortably fit me now. A couple of those shirts I can't wear regularly because they make me too hot. I'm sure my co-workers are getting tired of seeing the same rotation of shirts every week, but I really don't care at this point. If I could get away with coming to work in PJs, I would. (Though, I felt that way about PJs pre-pregnancy, too!)

*I've had a headache off and on for the past 24 hours or so.

*Bending over to put on or take off my socks is difficult. As is getting out of the bathtub after a bath. And rolling over in bed. Or getting out of bed. (And I'm not even that big, so I know it could be worse.)

*My pelvis feels like it's going to split in two.

*I keep dropping everything--and of course bending down to pick it all up is hard.

*The acid reflux keeps hitting more and more frequently. Tums still takes care of it for now, thankfully.

I know, I know...it all could be worse...and I know there's even more in store for me in the coming month (so please, please no one say "just wait 'til it gets worse")...I just need to get out my occasional complaints. A co-worker told me she was talking with another co-worker about how stoic I've been during my pregnancy, and she pointed out that I'm the kind to generally suffer in silence or at least minimize my pain/complaints. And she's right. But it's hard to find sympathy at work when my closest departmental co-workers are three older women who've never had children, in addition to the men that make up the rest of the department.

2 Comments:

At January 05, 2007 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hug*

Only a couple more weeks, D - you'll get through it... and then you can complain about being unbelievably tired for your little girl waking you up every two hours! :)

 
At January 06, 2007 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, i remember those days and I certainly don't miss them. I was thinking the other morning how great it was to sleep on my stomach and how much I missed it while pregnant.

Not much longer though. You're so close and have so much to look forward to. You'll be cranky for other reasons in the near future, but it's soOOoo worth it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home